View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
Nooo - that wipes out all your files & documents!!

Compaq & HP are like partners all the same more or less.

Go to the HP website and look up your computer in the support section for details of how to restore it. That is the best way.

[[CAUTION: Performing a Destructive Recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.Performing a System Recovery replaces system files and original software with the files that originally came with the computer. This process might move or remove certain files, like those stored in My Documents. Before performing a System Recovery backup important files and the files stored in the My Documents folder.In either case, be prepared to reinstall software that was not originally included with the computer. You will also need to reconfigure an Internet Connection and obtain all critical Windows Updates, Virus definition updates, and anti-spyware updates.

HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. A system recovery from the hard drive may not be possible in some circumstances. Your computer may contain Recovery Disc Creation software. Recovery discs for Windows XP are available from HP for a minimal cost. See Obtaining Recovery Discs for ordering information. ]]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ct=434459#N417

how to order recovery disks -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...uct=434459#N75
??
When the computer guy worked on your hard drive did he leave or remove the original restore files on the partition that HP had when they sold it.

Oh my god, people know how to do these things??? I'm going to lose my mind.

I'm not doing this. My brain can't take this.

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote