View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Dr. Smith:

I do understand your point of view. However, sadly, there are many doctors who are prescribing medications without understanding how to do so safely.

My major concern on this forum is to alert patients to the risks while using these medications. Methadone, which is becoming very popular and common now, is the only opiod that can cause death with normal doses, because of its tendency to cause irregular heart beats. This is called long QT syndrome, and I have posted here and on the chronic pain forum here about it.
There are doctors out there still who do NOT know this about Methadone. So it is up to the patient to inform themselves about it.

This forum is not here to discourage medication use. But is for patients to inform themselves about the medications they use and often in combination with other drugs, so that when an alarming side effect presents, they can seek helpful medical intervention. If a doctor minimizes a patient's concern, which often happens, there are choices that patient can take.

I believe that all drugs have potential for harm. Even aspirin.
Even Tylenol. Those two drugs cause much harm over the long haul in some patients.

Here is a new article explaining the links between OTC and RX anti-inflammatories, and the heart:
http://contractresearch.pharmaceutic...k-risks-120111

Each patient I believe should understand the benefits of a medication vs the risk taking it. Gone are the days of putting yourself 100% in your doctors hands for day to day treatments.

My neighbor did not research Naproxen RX and took it for 3 yrs every day. She had a massive GI hemorrhage, and was in intensive care for 13 days, and almost died. Did she share with me her use of this drug? Nope... Did her doctor give it freely...yep. I personally think her treatment could have been better. But she didn't know that.

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/s/64/c/13028/

http://www.naturalnews.com/027548_sw...eath_risk.html

I really think having a platform like NeuroTalk is like having a Consumer Reports venue. We check Consumer reports before making a major purchase in this house. Likewise I research all medications I take for my pain issues and other problems.

This forum is here for those with questions about their medications. People who find us here are looking for answers, to some issue that troubles them.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote