View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ROS is normally beneficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by imark3000 View Post
[/B][/COLOR]Taken together, the findings from the studies above suggest that additional antioxidants do not improve performance, do not appear to improve muscle tissue repair post-exercise, and are not beneficial in terms of increasing life span in exercised rodents.

--------------------
Imad

Imad,

I can see how this conclusion might look confusing when seen through our eyes or looking at what is hppening in our brains, but I question why a study like this is even necessary. ROS, is in and of itself not a bad thing; it is in fact good for us; it sets the stage for aptoptosis or timed cell death; it rids our system of the very things that would make us sick; it works to clear our system of malformed or damaged cells; the kind that can proliferate into cancers. etc. Note how we have been posting about balance and homeostasis? Well, in healthy individuals, ROS is beneficial because they have a normal supply of a range of enzymes to keep the ROS in check.

In a dis-ease state we lose that balance, somewhere in the enzyme protection area, I think IMHO, or later in process with mitochondrial dysfunction. Problem is in PD this is the key to our problem; research shows that it could be a variety of things at this point that cause PD. PD starts as a normal, healthy immune response to maintain our balance and state of health, somehow (this is what we need to know) our brains do not know how to shut off this process and in the absence of any viral or bacterial invader, our brains end up attacking our normal, healthy dopamine cells.

I think Wikipedia provides the clearest overview of ROS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_oxygen_species

Hope this helps answer your question.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (01-15-2011), imark3000 (01-15-2011)