View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default tested positive

hi all - I just got my 6th tysabri infusion; it's my first one since I found out I tested positive for the JC virus.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago and had 2 relatively minor flares with just sensory symptoms but had a pretty major post-partum flare for most of 2010 that peaked with swallowing problems and other scary stuff in the summer.

As a longtime HIV/AIDS activist, I know people who have died of PML (it was still relatively rare but more common in the days before effective anti-HIV drugs, when people became very very immune suppressed). I'm staying on the drug for now, but will be looking for alternatives at the 1 year mark or so.

I still have (maybe permanent) peripheral neuropathy in my feet and legs from the flare, and get my first MRIs since starting tysabri in a few weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen statistics that look at women who had their most major or only flare as a post-partum one, and how many of them continue to experience major flares and/or progress to SPMS, and how many go on to not have flares if they don't have other children??

JD
roadaction13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
clarkstar (01-15-2011), Grammie 2 3 (01-16-2011), Natalie8 (01-18-2011), Riverwild (01-18-2011), shayna (02-20-2011)