View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Lindy,

I totally agree with your comment on economics being the bottom line for most people in deciding on how they tackle this problem of recovery, both in terms of sourcing their preferred choice of treatment and eliminating stressors in their lives. But it is also very much a case of recognising, very early on, when you need to take drastic action in order to save your life.

In this vein, sometimes I get inspiration in odd places. Here is a link to an interview with Aron Ralston, the climber who is the subject of the movie '127 Hours'. He had a climbing accident in a remote place and his arm became trapped under a boulder. He says he realised early on that in order to break free and save his life, he would have to amputate his own arm. It took him 127 hours to work up the courage to do so and an hour to carry out the necessary deed. See discussion:

http://www.wideworldmag.com/features...f-aron-ralston

In fact, it was at the point of reading a similar survival story, of the survivors of the plane crash in the Andes many years ago, the plane carrying the Uruguyan football team, that I located my own sense of determination, to make it a goal to achieve the impossible. I was in despair when I happened to turn on the radio and there was Nando Parrado speaking about what happened to him. See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle...Long_Trek_Home

These two accounts are not just of surviving, but of going on to thrive and flourish. I think that's what you have to aim for. There are many little details in both stories that can provide pointers as to how to maintain motivation towards action.

They illustrate the difference, for me, between 'belief' and 'wishful thinking'. There's no point in praying to God that you'll win the lotto, if you haven't even bought a lottery ticket. Even God likes to appear rational. Beliefs are relevant, to the extent that they motivate and propel us towards action, hopefully in a positively productive manner.

Last edited by Muireann; 01-16-2011 at 05:53 AM. Reason: syntax
Muireann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote