View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 02:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

First let me say I am very sorry to hear of your situation. For many Americans this is exactly what they fear may happen to them as they watch everything they know slip away.

Second, fire your attorney. Find a new one. That is probably easier said than done, but an unresponsive attorney, while not being on the endangered species list, should be!

Third . . . it sounds like you live in Texas? Why do you drive two states away to Alabama to go to a VA hospital? And won't VA pay for the medication you need to get your knee surgery? Try googling Rx assistance programs and see if there is one that might be able to help you.

You may need to close off rooms and keep your thermostat lower . . . $300-500 seems rather high for a light and heat bill for one month. And I would suggest that a post roast can last days for less $$ than it would cost to eat hamburger for the same period, plus you can roast it with a few potatoes and carrots for some vegetables. I would also suggest supplementing your diet with some canned tuna, chicken (roast a whole fryer and you can eat at least three meals for two people), and pasta with tomato based sauces, for better nutrition and equivalent costs. Bacon is expensive around here . . . and not the best choice for health; in our house it is a rare treat! We have learned to live by the 3-4 oz of meat per serving rule and that helps stretch proteins a lot further. If you don't qualify for food stamps, I would suggest seeing if a food bank could help supplement your food budget.

I am sorry I don't have much help to offer for your finances. Most of us are scrambling to stay out of situations like yours, and options are running out for many of us.

I do wish you well, and that 2011 will find you getting some relief.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rickey (01-16-2011)