View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 AM
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Hey rlj,

Have you tried calling your local welfare office. They may be able to hook you up with agencys that can help you with your lights, food stamps, ect. I know a lot of people are embarrassed to do this but if you are hungry and you need help with your lights you should give it a shot. There are also a lot of food banks that are willing to help people in your position. Make sure to mention you are a vet.
Before firing your attorney I would make an appointment with your local SS office and go in and see exactly what has been done. Your attorney may be further along than what you think. If you start all over it's going to take more time. If you find nothing has been done write a complaint to the bar in your state. The bar will call him and ask what is being done, and he will know you mean business.
I have found once you're in the system then you basically have to wait. There are thousands of people out there who are waiting along with you. A letter of dire need only qualifies if you are terminally ill, homeless or if someone is in jail. Good luck to you and it's not hopeless just timely. Please read below.

Submitting Dire Need, Terminal Illness requests, or information regarding incarcerated individuals

NOTIFY THE HEARING OFFICE WHEN THE CLAIMANT HAS A TERMINAL (TERI) CONDITION, IS HOMELESS, OR IS IN DIRE NEED, AND INCLUDE APPROPRIATE DOCUMENTATION SUPPORTING THESE ALLEGATIONS.
Notifying a hearing office of these circumstances can significantly expedite the processing of a case, if the allegation is supported. The criteria and reference links for critical case processing can be found in our provisions in HALLEX I-2-1-40 (Critical Cases).

WITH THE REQUEST AND DOCUMENTATION SUPPORTING THE ALLEGATION, SUBMIT UPDATED EVIDENCE SUPPORTING THE CLAIM FOR AN OTR REVIEW.
If a dire need case can be awarded without the need of a hearing, this works to the advantage of the claimant and the hearing office.

IF CLAIMANT IS INCARCERATED, PROVIDE THE HEARING OFFICE WITH THE ADDRESS OF THE FACILITY AND THE RELEASE DATE.
There are many difficulties that arise when an individual who has requested a hearing is incarcerated. For example, if an in-person hearing must be conducted, there are varying rules and procedures depending on the facility in which the claimant is incarcerated. Some claimants are transferred after a hearing has been scheduled but before the hearing has been held. For these types of reasons, it is very important that the hearing office is apprised at all times of the status of an incarcerated claimant.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rickey (01-17-2011)