View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Dearheart, you will NOT become addicted if you take your medications ONLY as prescribed!! You will become physically dependent, which is a WHOLE LOT different than addiction!!! With addiction, you crave the meds, you will do anything to get them, you think of nothing else. With physical dependence, your body is just used to having the meds and you go thru withdrawal when you stop taking them. That's all. That's why you have to WEAN off them when you stop taking them. There is NO craving, etc.

So you should have no problem taking Oxycodone, or any of the other long acting medications. Most of chronic pain patients take them and we can't ALL be addicts! LOL

I wish you the very best of luck. I hope you can get a handle on your pain. God bless. Hugs, Lee
Thanks Lee for explaining it that way- that puts my mind at ease a bit. Ya know, I know there are people out there who do abuse the system to get narcotics, but because of them, its so hard to even get painkillers when you need them sometimes, and the fact that I have to ration my own each month and suffer some days because I know I can't get a refill before a certain date just really makes me feel like an addict already. I know I need them for the pain, but they sure do make people feel guilty for taking the needed meds, let alone asking for something different or stronger. There have been times that I've hurt so bad I've gone ahead and taken more than I'm "supposed to" in order to last the whole month, and I think, 'Screw it, i'll deal with it then" but its always a trade off of hurt now or hurt later.

I appreciate the compassion I've found here- it means a lot if only to have folks to talk to about the whole bit.
72daywmn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (03-10-2012)