View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Robyn,
All of your questions are valid.... and like you, I ask alot of questions until I am comfortable with the answers. I have seen too many people misdiagnosed who were hesitant to question anything. It disturbs me that this dentist is rough with you and that you are so leary of having him take care of you. I understand your predicament and I feel really bad that people often have no choice but to settle for what their insurance dictates as far as who they can and can't see. I deal with that situation every day and have personally experienced it myself. So I truly understand. Hopefully he will be less apathetic to your situation at this point.

Because of the long term infection and also the numerous antibiotics you have taken... yes, your immune system is not up to par at this point. So that may be a couple of reasons why you are not healing well. Are you taking vitamins.... how about a probiotic every day??

You mentioned that xrays were taken a few days prior to your extractions and it showed the pocket of infection....radiographic pathology of the jawbone that indicates an infection means the infection has been there a long time and that it has entered the jawbone. The oral surgeon should have debrided (removed) that area of infection along with some of the necrotic bone. If he didn't do that and/or if the area was not kept very sterile during the surgery and/or if the antibiotics were not able to kill off the various strains of bacterial infection... then the infection will proliferate to other areas. So an xray of that area may be wise to see if that pocket of infection is still present and/or has changed. Don't be hesitant to insist on an xray... he may say it's not necessary because it's too early to see bone healing.......that is somewhat true however, he cannot tell if infection has spread, etc without the xray.

With regard to the right side of your jaw hurting... that would be normal if it is where you are doing the majority of your chewing. I know it's hard to stay on a soft food diet but it may be your best bet until this infection subsides. And yes, it could be sore from the assistant holding it but generally when a patient is put to sleep, the jaw is clamped open rather than the assistant holding it open. But who knows how this office does it!

Robyn... I don't think you are a complainer at all! You have every right to be concerned and I will help you as much and as often as I can =))

Look forward to hearing what the dentist says on wednesday!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn6447 View Post
Thanks Bryanna, no I have no problems you listed and I have done everything I am supposed to I guess I just have a stubborn infection or my immune system is not up to par. I know this has been very aggravating! I told a friend today that I thought he might have to try i.v antibiotics on me since I'm having no luck with oral ones. But he is a strange man so it's hard to tell what he'll do. I had x-rays taken the previous Wednesday when I had my teeth cleaned, you could see the pocket of infection on them altho to my untrained eye it didn't look that big or serious. I'm renconsidering that line of thought tho. Lol! Sorry I have to joke about it or I will be stressed. As far as any secondary symptons I've only noticed besides the tenderness and swelling is fatigue. No fever or nausea just don't want to do anything but then again that's probably not new either. Oh I have a different question for you, I have noticed that my right side now that I have to chew on it is sore. Ihad the bottom mollars removed on it back in June and I hadn't chewed on it and I figured the gum was tender because it hadn't been used to being used as a food grinder so to speak. Also the jawline is sore to the touch still and I assume it is from the assistants holding my jaw down while he did my surgery last Monday. I don't know I do know I feel like a complainer and it is embarrassing to post every little pain I'm having. I'm used to having to suck it up with the Trigeminal Neuralgia but I also know things seem a little weird right now and when I first was sick with TN I needed to tell everyone all the symptoms so I could get a correct diagnosis. Please don't think I'm a malingerer just needing some answers. Thank you again Bryanna! Will let you know what he says Wednesday and I also see my dentist again that day to have a couple of cavities filled and I will let him know what's going on too.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote