Thread: Ivig
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had my first IVIG in 2005 right after I crashed the first time and just before I had my thymectomy. My neuro hospitalized me because my ins company was dragging it's feet about approving the treatment due to the cost. While they were dragging their feet, I crashed so he stuck me in the hospital and gave me 5 days of treatment. I didn't notice a difference the first 2 days, but on the 3rd day, I woke up and couldn't believe how much better I felt and the amount of energy I had. I felt like I did before I had mg! Since that time, I have had IVIG as needed (the insurance co decided it was cheaper to pay for the treatment at an infusion center rather than being hospitalized every time I needed it)

For the last 1-1/2 years, I have been going for treatment 1 day every 7-10 days. This schedule works for me, but for some people, it is better to get their treatments several days in a row or once every 2 months, or whatever. I would advise experimenting to see what works best for you.

For me, IVIG has been a life saver (literally). When I crashed this past November and ended up in ICU on a vent, 3 days of IVIG was what gave me back my ability to move my lungs and breathe. (Well, that and resting the lungs because the vent was breathing for me!)

I know there are people on this site who don't have the same experience I do with IVIG - just like everything else with this disease, it tends to be individualized for each person!

Good luck and I hope it works for you!
Juanitad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote