View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I think they are having to be very picky now as the economy has slowed and many with maybe not so serious health problems are trying to get SSD.
Don't take it personally, they are just following the directives of the higher ups.

I haven't been through the SSD system but did the Work comp system - seems like they are kind of alike in some ways... it's all in the paperwork and what the drs write and how they write it. and some attys are very mediocre...IMO.

I hope the atty is helping to get all your health problems listed correctly.
But you may have to read the reports and make notes about any wrong information so atty can get it straightened out with your drs so it is all clear & all covered in the reports & paperwork..

I read this tip somewhere - on your reports/drs notes- take a highlighter and anytime you see something incorrect mark it , then on another piece of paper write out the correct information and maybe number each correction as you go along so anyone reading later can match the info easily.

the next step I'm not sure on - if you have atty check it, or have the dr check it for clarification... prob the atty first - he should be able to tell if anything you marked needs to be addressed or not.

I would still write your letter of dire need with copies of all bills that are owed and behind on payments, esp the ones for your home and possible loss of it.

I would keep the letter simple and clear - if it gets too wordy their eyes will glaze over ...

I would list each health problem starting with the ones that affect your ability to work the most at the top of the list and going down from there.

I think the tips on that ehow link sounded pretty good.
you may even be able to find a sample letter somewhere online, but I wouldn't copy it just use it as a guide to cover all points.

[In your letter tell them exactly how you feel. Exactly what is going on in your life. Let them know what lead to your disability. If you are or have been suicidal or homicidal, make sure you include these things in your letter. Tell them things you have discussed with you doctors. Doctors don't always take notes of every conversation they have with you. Tell them what medications you are taking and ALL side effects of the medication. If at all possible, write the letter yourself. If necessary have someone type it for you, but use your own words. You can use a representative, but the SSA may not take you as seriously.

Read more: How to Get Your SSA Disability With A Letter Of Dire Need | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5960580_ssa-...#ixzz1BPdCLBXK
]