View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 04:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A lesson learned the hard way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffe View Post
Tom I am so encouraged by this new Dr. of yours who seems interested in getting to the root of your problem. God is good...please keep us posted!
Hello, Alffe and everybody, just a quick note that could be important for you.

I had a body scan this morning. They dripped iodine into my veins. A few minutes later, after the scan was over, I was sitting alone in a dressing room, and I had an incredible allergic reaction: bright lights, skin itching (especially the hands), white blotches forming on my arms and stomach, tightening of the lungs as in asthma attacks, and my head was swimming. They put something in the IV bottle that got rid of most of it after an hour or so; I was able to drive home. Even now, though, 12 hours later, I feel hammered, drained.

They asked me ahead of time if I was allergic to iodine; I said I didn't know, but had plenty of other allergies, mostly tree and plant pollen. They did the scan anyway. I never felt in danger, but it was a very unpleasant experience. They say there are no absolutes; however, it is absolutely impossible that I will ever have another scan with iodine.

A scan, I hear, is a typical procedure for neurological problems, and it makes sense; they have to see how the blood is flowing. And so, many of you reading this words will have one, if you haven't already. However, I would suggest that before you get a scan, find out if you are allergic to iodine. It is definitely worth knowing. Do not take this matter lightly.

Tom
lebelvedere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (01-19-2011), Alffe (01-29-2011), barbo (01-18-2011), DMACK (02-09-2011), Mark56 (01-21-2011)