View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just FYI, the over the counter Dextro...Did not work for her. Only the compounded one. So don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Plus there is alcohol in it. So you will have side effects. So be careful with the over the counter one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbycakes View Post
Hi Again,

I had to do some research on my own because I just have never heard and I'm up for anything that will help.

Just two very interesting points in a case study I found. It stated 1-that Dextromethorphan works on the part of the brain that controls coughing and 2-it stimulates the Central Nervous System. The 2nd point it what really surprised be. We all know that RSD is a Central Nervous System Disorder and I always believed and understood that it is over stimulated. But Dextromethorphan stimulates the CNS. Kind of like the way Ritalin, Adderal and the likes work on the part of the brain that controls impulses. Ritalin and those type of meds. are anphetamines to stimulate the part of the brain that is not working for focusing, impulse control etc. It stimulates that part of the brain so persons who have problems with ADD/ADHD can funtion better. So maybe the Dextromethorphan works the same for RSD patients even though they say it stimulates the CNS but maybe it's just correcting/stimulating in turn the RSD symtoms are reduced. Very interesting. I may just go out and buy it, once I ask my doctor, just to try it and see what happens.

Gabbycakes
SandyS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote