Thread: ACDF Surgery
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC1977 View Post
Alrighty...I''m here because I went to the doctors about two months ago for a stiff neck. Two days later I had severe weakness in my right arm. Back to the doctor, several tests later turns out I have a herniated disc C4-5 could be more so the doc says. What I want to know is if anyone has received a similar diagnosis and put off the surgery for any extended period for any reason. Any input would help greatly.
Hi there,

I'm scheduled for an ACDF next month, and I put it off for quite a while. Went through all the alternatives first, accupunture, PT, massage, etc. I progessively got worse over the last 8 months and now I can no longer even drive. I'm a very active 40 year old, love to scuba dive, kayak, hiking, running, so it's very disheartening to be unable to do these activities. i'm a graphic designer and can not do my job anymore either. I'm having a 2 -3 level fusion done (my neurosurgeon will decide whether to do the 3rd level after the results of last night's MRI come in). I was giving some very positive outcomes after surgery, although it is very very scary. I have herniated discs from C4 through C7, osteophytes pushing on the nerves that are running down both my hands, worse on the right, and spinal stenosis.

In my opinion, dealing with pain and inability to do things is far worse than going through the risks of surgery. I just want my life back, so I'm going for it.

The surgery will take approx. 2-3 hours I'm told, and a hard collar is to be worn for 6 weeks post op. Voice changes and problems swallowing after surgery are all expected, but they usually go away in time.

I hope this help you make a decision, good luck to you, it's not fun dealing with this sort of pain. I wish you all the best!
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote