View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Hello Renee!

I'm glad you found your way over here to our little SCS forum!
I'm sorry about your RSD battle however. It's a terrible thing to have to live with and many of us understand.
There are so many wonderful folks at the RSD forum. I don't know what I would have done without them when I had my lumbar SCS implanted almost a year ago. Everyone was so very supportive.

Pull up a chair and make yerself at home

You are so very right in that our SCS stories vary and no two are exactly alike. It's a very individualized treatment and when you read thru the posts here, you'll soon see quite a diverse group of testimonials.

The good thing in your case is that these units have a pretty high success rate for lower extremity burning neuropathic/RSD type of pain.
And another great thing about this is that we get to do a 'trial' before committing to the actual implant. So you are doing your trial on Feb 11th, right?
One of the first things I consider to be of utmost importance is what is your relationship with your Dr like? Do you have confidence in him and does he have a good reputation with doing these implants.

If you are a pretty active person, it would be a good idea to communicate this with your Dr and ask him if he intends to do the percutaneous lead implant, or the more invasive laminectomy paddle lead implant.
Here is a very informative link I pulled from the stickies at the top.....it explains all of these factors to consider.....
http://www.nationalpainfoundation.or...e-technologies

Also, decide where you would like your battery to be placed. For lumbar implants they usually go in the hip/buttock area. Some prefer them in the lower abdomen region.

Ask your Dr what his opinion is of the risk of your RSD spreading.

You'll get many responses and ask anything you want. We love sharing our stories and it's good to know what is involved with this very big commitment.
You'll probably be required to do a psychological evaluation (for insurance clearance), so don't feel intimidated by this. It's standard procedure and there are a couple of threads on this discussion to ease any questions you may have on this.

After 6 years of non-stop horrible level 8 burning pain in both legs, I have found my SCS to be a welcome relief! The tingling sensation covers over the pain and I can have a decent quality of life, rather than being imprisoned in my own home watching life pass me by.

It'll be great getting to know you, Renee.
There are so many wonderful people here!

Truly Caring
Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
edever34 (01-20-2011), Mark56 (01-20-2011), renhenne (01-19-2011), vannafeelbettr (01-25-2011)