View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink good luck and relax

I understand the concerns. I had the same when I had my surgery 12/9/2010 2 level ACDF. The surgery usually lasts about 2-3 hours. People are in the hospital anywhere from 1-5 days depending on your recovery, insurance and doctors. I was in for 5 days due to excessive swelling (uncommon). I had a pump with didulad the first 12 hours (don't remember). Then I had morphine shots because I could not swallow. The only IV I had was antibiotics and fluids (48 hours). Then I had the nurses crush the meds and place in applesauce, pudding or italian ice. I had oxyicodone then down to hydrocodone along with flexril (muscle relaxer). I came home with scripts for hydrocodone along with flexril (muscle relaxer) and Ambien to help me sleep. I had a sponge bath while in the hospital. Once I came home I was allowed to shower. It felt SO good. Just ask for some special plastic non stick covering for the steri strips that cover the incision. Swallowing and swelling was my biggest issue not pain from the surgery. The incision area did not hurt at all. I also had a drain above the incision that I did not expect. That came out on day 3. Let me know if you have any other questions. The waiting is the worst. Once it is over you will be relieved. I no longer had the tingling, numbness and pain. I felt that way as soon as I was coherent in the hospital. Good luck and keep us posted.
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote