View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
Well ,it's hard to say... he may have sent for an exact HP MB, but that doesn't explain why it says Compaq during the boot up....

but then again maybe that's what he had to get so he could reuse your same CPU & RAM since it is 7 yrs old.

The receipt doesn't say a part or model # for the MB?
if so you could google that # and see what it is for sure.
unless you want to download one of those system/device identifying programs.
but I don't know that it really matters too much-as long as it works well now.

but he didn't suggest at all that your computer is probably not worth the cost to do the fix ups due to it's age???
Your hard drive could have been plugged into a newer or new machine so you could still access the info on it.

7 years is getting old for a pc - unless the insides have all been upgraded along the way.

I just upgraded my power supply, got a spare cpu as I thought mine was going bad - a cheap one off ebay 15.00- (mainly for test/ backup), added a gig of RAM, all because I thought things were having a problem but I think it is now the onboard video...
sometimes pcs are not easy LOL.

My mb is having issues with the onboard graphics - causes the display to go all weird at times and have to reboot (monitor is only 5 months old)
my mb is 4-5 yrs old - most of the new mb have different cpu types & ram types now. So I'd have to buy all new stuff if I upgrade with new mb.

So just late last night on ebay I found a refurbished exact mb like I have right now - and luckily it's not too far from here - so if it does have problems - the guy knows I'm not too far away...

So anyway I spent 70.00 for this refurbished mb just so I can reuse my same cps & Ram - I'll let you know if it works out or not...

I think you are absolutely amazing and I wish I had your brain.

I'm also putting up a new question for you. It's a doozy. And if you want to have the best laugh of your life, go to "On the Lighter Side, and read my latest post. I put up THE FUNNIEST YOUTUBE VIDEO you have ever seen.

Believe it.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote