View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default helpful hints from a vetran SCS nurse

hello my dear and good luck with your trial and per unit! I am currently on my 3rd(YES) unit.
1. keep incision clean and DRY, remember the leads go into your epidural space and infection there is NOT GOOD
2. Do not raise your arms above your shoulders, so go through the house and move things you will have to use in the next 6-12 weeks down.
3. No bend, twist. If something falls on the floor, unless you have one of Rraes reachers it stays there until later.
4. Weight limits, some docs will give you a specific limit, mine was 10lbs (about a gallon of milk)
5. To was my hair with all of the above restrictions, I sat on a stool in the tub, wraped an old shower curtain around me an someone would wash my hair with the shower hose (purchase at any store)
6. If you can find out what your doc wants for a bandage over your incisions.
7. Reuseable ice pacs helps the incisional pain. Can make your own need about 3 ziploc bags, put aboyt a dozen large ice cubes into a bag, pour rubbing alcohol about 1 cup over ice, then zip it shut, zip this bag into the next one and zip the 2 into the 3rd, it will eventually leak ,but then pretty cheap to make.
8, get your pain meds filled and stay ahead of the pain (take the darn pills routinely) for the first 3-4 days, set your alarm. If you dont hurt as much you will move more= less chance of pnemonia
9. Now as a personal thing, I flatly refuse to allow them to staple me. I have found sutures to be much more comfortable then all those sharp pointy ends poking at (in) me
z
pooh_ac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (01-20-2011), NerPain4 (11-17-2012), Rrae (01-20-2011), Treca (01-20-2011)