Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Sue,
Please read as much as you can here about all the testing, therapies, the pros & cons of surgery.
It can do good , but is not always a cure, and sometimes can make things worse.

We have some polls about symptoms, surgery outcomes, articles, and special saved threads in our Useful sticky thread - up above the thread list.
also a Drs & PT sticky...

Quite a few long time w TOS do have Fibro and or RSD....I think after a few years of pain the body gets worn down and these other pain syndromes move in also.

I'm assuming you've had xrays & MRIS so no extra cervical rib or bony anomalies have shown up.

PS - just saw this in your other post -
[Surgeon talking about removing 1st rib going in under armpit. Said I'd be back to work (on a computer asll day) in 1 week. From what I've read, this sounds unrealistic. Looking for info on the surgery, recovery, etc.]

I think I'd run from that surgeon!!!

* how many successful TOS operations has he done per year - that's a question to ask any surgeon you get an opinion from.*
skill & experience is important for this surgery, there are so many delicate structures involved and the issue of post op scar tissue/adhesions is another possibility. This scar tissue overgrowth problem may not show up for 6-12 months or more after surgery.

Read as much as you can and ask questions too.