View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello all,

I posted here a while back and was able to correspond off-forum with sboscoe and her husband (thank you!). I wanted to share what has helped our daughter to get rid of the post-concussion headaches.
Our daughter's most debilitating symptom had been headaches for weeks post-concussion, but one day I looked at her and realized that she was very thin, also. For weeks she had not been eating much because of the headaches and other post-concussive symptoms. She had lost almost 10 pounds, which was way too much.
With our doctor's guidance, we decided to put the weight back on and get her back on her historic growth curve. After only 4-5 days of 3000 calories/ day, her headaches disappeared entirely. It took 7 weeks to get her back to her healthy weight. This was not always easy, as she is a teen and was getting some positive feedback from peers about how lovely she looked when she was underweight. However, she is much lovelier and energetic at a healthy weight and no headaches.
This is certainly not the answer to most post-concussion headaches, but I would encourage anyone to make sure their child stays on his/her historic growth curve during the recovery phase. It is all too easy for them to lose weight when they don't feel well. In addition to the headaches, fatigue, irritability, and mental slowness all improved when our daughter returned to her usual weight. (The headaches disappeared entirely; the other symptoms have improved).
snowdaykids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote