View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Great thread, Ron. Thanks for the research and links.

The question is whether anyone has a "normal" BBB anymore. Air pollution and hydrogenated oils can also increase BBB permeability, as do allergic and other immune-mediated reactions. That is part of the spiral, in which an individual is becoming more and more ill, becoming more allergic to the things to which they are allergic and developing allergies to more things. Histamine reactions are known to make the BBB more permeable. What about constant, chronic allergies (e.g. food allergies)? What I am studying now is the effect of lectins (http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html ) on the blood brain barrier. I think we will find that those of gluten, dairy, soy, etc can do direct harm as well as indirect harm by inducing chronic inflammatory reactions.

I personally don't think that drugs to "shut" the BBB are the answer, at least not long term, for the reason that Wannabe mentions. I would always start with the known offenders that increase permebility and try to avoid them (e.g. trans fats, allergens/lectins, and environmental pollution). It is well-known that these neurodegenerative diseases are their worse in polluted cities.

(They are also working on drugs that will "open" the BBB to allow them to get more drugs (e.g. chemo) into the brain. That one really scares me. )

Thanks again for the info and links.
John
DogtorJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote