View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Okay, I will list the nutrients that some of your antibiotics may have disrupted.

Amoxicillin --- depletes

The B complex... B1, B2, B3, B6, B12

inositol
biotin
Vit K
Potassium

And kills the beneficial organisms in the bowel,
Bifido bacteria, and Lactobacillus

Doxycycline

Depletes the same as above,
and also:
Iron
Magnesium

Cephalosporins:

Same as Amoxicillin

It takes time for this all to happen, so you would not see effects at first, but eventually depending on your dietary habits, some things may become too low.

You need to get blood work for both B12 and Vit D3. These can be low ANYWAY in people with PN symptoms. Get your numbers and don't accept "normal", from your doctor, since interpretation is very poor with both of them. Our lab ranges in US do not flag really low levels, but call them normal.

I am unsure that the organism causing Lyme would be affected by any supplements you could take. We would have to know how it targets the nerves exactly.
Nerve damage comes from damage to the insulation around the axons, and also from damage to the cell body, nucleus and mitochondria.
Myelin damage may be helped with B12 (methylcobalamin is best) B6, and folate. There is an RX vitamin called Metanx that is made to target this problem. There are questions that the generic is identical in composition to the brand name, so brand is best. You can buy these ingredients separately OTC.
B6 is called P5P (NOW company makes a good one) and the folate is called methylfolate-- and made by Solgar (Metafolin).

Add to those some Omega-3 fatty acids like Fish oil, at least 3 a day, and you may encourage remyelination.
Magnesium is low in many people (who do not have PN) so taking a good magnesium supplement is advised too.

This is my magnesium thread:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html

Vitamin D:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread92116.html

Vitamin B12:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

Supplements for cell body damage, mito damage include:

Alpha lipoic acid ( r-lipoic is newer and I suggest it instead)

Acetyl Carnitine ( helps with chemo damage and AIDs drugs damage, so I suggest it for other drug damage too)

Biotin (works with the carnitine)
CoQ-10 (works with the carnitine + lipoic)

Benfotiamine (this is a fat soluble B1-- that is useful for people with errors in metabolism involving aldehyde and alcohols and which may be genetic too) This is also being used in diabetic
neuropathies now too. If you took metronidazole antibiotic, Benfotiamine would be a choice for you.

Low Vit D is causing many problems for chronic pain and immune issues. So fixing it and getting it up helps many people in many ways.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote