View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi rlj1959,

I can understand what you are going through I took Depakote for many yrs. for my absence (petit mal) and complex partial seizures and it worked great but just like you I had to go off of the drug because it lowered my blood platlet level to the point that I was almost bleeding internally. Since then I haven't found a single drug to help stop my seizures. I tried the lamictal and I broke out with a rash from the drug after taking it for only 4 days. I also took tegretol and trileptal and the same thing happened. You might want to try taking mysoline which breaks down into phenobarbital it works well for many people who have grand mal seizures. Also cut back on the carbs. and starch foods because it has been proven that to much of this kind of food will cause seizures.
In regards to the light you may be photosenstive which means that certain colors can trigger seizures for you. I had a special e.e.g. done where they would flash different color strobe lights one at a time and they found that florescent green, amber, and bright white like the sun shining on the snow will trigger seizures for me. You might want to ask your Dr. to order this special e.e.g. to be done. You can also request a DNA test be done on you and by doing this the Dr. can find out what seizure med will help you the most with the least side effects. Take my word the Drs. don't like to do this because they are losing money from the pharmacies but you have every legal right to have this test done.
Thank you for serving our country! I'm very proud of you and I sure wish I could have gone into the military but it was my epilepsy that stopped me. I have a lot of family that made a career of the service. One cousin served 41 yrs. Here's wishing you and your family only the best and May God Bless All of You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote