View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Shelley--I have had both SG blocks and axillary blocks for the RSD in my arms/hands. The best success wtih the SG blocks were when they were done in series of three, about 3-4 weeks apart. It seemed that the second block had a longer-lasting effect than the first, and the third one even longer than the second. Becoause of dispute wtih IC, I have to get these procedures under Medicare. The axillary blocks are FAR less expensive than the SG blocks, and not nearly as painful. What I like about this block is that it makes my entire arm go"dead", which means NO PAIN AT ALL for about 8-12 hours, depending how much lidociane is put in.

A small needle is inserted into the brachial artery in the armit, and the anesthetic slowly injected--the procedure only lasts about 5 minutes. i bring an arm sling with me because once the arm is "deadend", it is also FLOPPY and it cannot be used.

Maybe not a "perfect" solution, but for me, it DOES help break the pain cycle, gives me 8-12 hours of absolutely NO PAIN (while it is dead) and also the swelling. I take adventage of the block and do very gentle range of motion exercises for fingers/wrist/arm...

Sometimes I have gotten almost two weeks of the "edge" being taken off the burning pain.

My Doc also alternates the SG with the axillary block when i can afford it.

Maybe something like this would benefit you, so it might be something to ask your Doc about.
Brokenwings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote