View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomer15 View Post
I was asking what happens to the SSI money should the deceased die before collecting. He was basically penniless and I don't know how SSI works. Does the approved have to wait the 6 month waiting period before being eligiable for SSI? He more than likely didn't pay taxes on his unemployment so I guess the SSI money doesn't go towards that or child support but does the survivor get it or no one gets it?
There is a thread on this site called Don't start your claim unprepared. There is a poster called Kallixenia who is a SS examiner. I would ask that poster. From my experience I had one survivor case that went to the Federal level, they found that you are entitled to benefits if you are found to be a widow and have children under the age of 18, ex-spouses under certain rules. In that case, the claimant filed 2 years after her spouse had died and was only entitled to 6 months back pay. SSI is for the individual, and dies with the individual. So chances are the children are not entitled to back child support from SSI. Tell your friend to apply right away.
There could be a rule I'm not aware of.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote