View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
There is a thread on this site called Don't start your claim unprepared. There is a poster called Kallixenia who is a SS examiner. I would ask that poster. From my experience I had one survivor case that went to the Federal level, they found that you are entitled to benefits if you are found to be a widow and have children under the age of 18, ex-spouses under certain rules. In that case, the claimant filed 2 years after her spouse had died and was only entitled to 6 months back pay. SSI is for the individual, and dies with the individual. So chances are the children are not entitled to back child support from SSI. Tell your friend to apply right away.
There could be a rule I'm not aware of.
I believe that Kallixenia is a disability analyst, not a claims representative so her expertise is on determining whether or not a person is disabled, not who can get survivor benefits or payment of an underpayment due a deceased. That is done in the field office and payment center by claims representatives and claims authorizers.

And yes, there are limits on the retroactivity of survivor and auxilliary claims. But the original question was about underpayment due a deceased.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote