View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
That's the core of the issue RLJ.......everyone else does have the right to describe their condition however they want to. I have not and would not dispute that. The problem is that some people here are making judgements about ALL disabled people that are grossly incorrect. All disabled people are not ill.

All disabled people do not have diseases. All disabled people are not ill. If you broke your neck in a fall and are paralyzed from the neck down, you are disabled, but you don't have a disease. If a child is born without limbs, they are disabled, but not diseased or ill. If a soldier losses limbs in a military skirmish, he is going to be ill for some time. If they recovery goes well, he might end up being disabled, but won't be ill anymore, and won't have a disease.

I will always try to educate and change the misconceptions people have about the disabled.
Finz,
I understand completely what you are saying. I don’t understand what you mean about passing judgment. People ask for advice and support here and other people give it. How is that considered passing judgment? I just don’t see the purpose for arguing with someone about the terminology they use. It dose not matter if I say or anyone else says I am disabled or ill because most of the time, I know what they mean. Is it not true that some illnesses lead to disability and some disabilities lead to more illness? Whether it's a disability or an illness, it is a problem that most people in this forum have or they wouldn't be here. They come here asking for advice or support and you decide you don't like their words or how they use them so you choose to argue with them or the person giving the advice or support. I simply don't see any point in it and I may be wrong but I'm sure there are others here that would agree. If you don't want people saying that you are ill, simply put something in your signature stating that. I don’t mean to offend you and I'm not holding it against you in thinking you can educate everybody on this forum or any other forum for their misconceptions of a couple of words, I suppose that is your right. But I personally think you would have better luck shooting fish in a barrel.

Best of luck
Don't let life’s ups and downs get you down.
Get on one of the ups and hang on like a big dog!!!!
Rickey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote