View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I did read it right except in the first post you said SSDI and in this one you said SSI. That one letter D makes a big difference in the answer.

So he got a favorable decision and then died before the money was paid

The link I gave shows the priority of paying an SSDI underpayment due a deceased. Spouse living with is first. Then an entitled child. The estate is last on the list if there is no one of higher priority and the estate may have to pay legal debt which may include the child support or the IRS. I am not
sure of that.

The five month waiting period still applies for SSDI, but that should have been over sometime in the past.

If this is an SSI question, I have a different answer.
Yes,the social workers at the hospital helped hurry up things. He was wondering why it took my case so long to be approved and his was basically overnight. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in early December and was awarded SSDI benefits shortly afterwards. His son is scheduled to receive first payment in June. Don't think the deceased had an estate. He was living with his mom at the time of death. Is someone responsible for doing a deceased person's tax return or do they let it pass? It looks like he got his unemployment checks tax free. Still not sure if his ex-wife is entitled to survivor benefits.
Babyboomer15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote