View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomer15 View Post
Yes,the social workers at the hospital helped hurry up things. He was wondering why it took my case so long to be approved and his was basically overnight. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in early December and was awarded SSDI benefits shortly afterwards. His son is scheduled to receive first payment in June. Don't think the deceased had an estate. He was living with his mom at the time of death. Is someone responsible for doing a deceased person's tax return or do they let it pass? It looks like he got his unemployment checks tax free. Still not sure if his ex-wife is entitled to survivor benefits.
So let me get this straight the guy with stage 4 cancer is the one you were inquiring about? That would put him in dire need and that is why he got his benefits so quickly. If his ex- wife has custody of his child who is 16 and under then she can collect benefits but, she has to file. If she is 60 or older and not remarried or over 50-59 and disabled then she is entitled to his benefits. I don't understand why his ex- wife wasn't collecting child support and had his paychecks garnished. Taxes are never over looked, they will send a bill if he owes anything. There are so many rules Babyboomer that if I were you I would have your friend call SS and make sure she is entitled in her state. The link below may help. Make sure you click on the blue links as they explain it in detail.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...o%20pay%20back

Last edited by legalmania; 01-24-2011 at 02:53 AM.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote