Thread: tattoo?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I have had 2 tattoos since developing RSD. Yes, I know that a lot of you are going to hate me for having a tattoo at my age (16 soon) but it was something that my doctor had said might help me deal with some of the pain better when I suggested it. It wasn't something that I rushed into (took me a year to decide what design to have done) and my tattoos represent my RSD. I have 3 butterflies accross my lower back, one of which is orange so represents the pain of the RSD, another is blue and for my grandad who passed away 2 years ago and the other is pink for my nanan who died from complications of MS. I've also got some scroll work (will post pictures if anyone wants to see).

I also have a tattoo on my wrist and that is flower scroll work. Always got flowers when I was in a really bad flare with RSD and they always cheered me up a little so now whenever I feel ill, I can look at my wrist and see them and hope that things are going to get better.

I didn't have RSD in my back when I had my back tattoo, though I have recently developed back problems. Been told that these aren't linked to the tattoo though and are a problem I have had from birth. I have RSD in my left shoulder and had the tattoo on my wrist. It caused some more pain and inflammation for a few days but wasn't too bad. The RSD in that hand is only minor so didn't cause loads of problems. I was told NEVER to have a tattoo or surgical procedures where my RSD is at it's worse (had a nerve block cause me to lose my coordination and an ingrown toenail removal cause spasms on my RSD leg).

I think it all depends on the indivual how they react. I know i'd never have a tattoo where my RSD is at it's worse as it would just be waaay too risky. Before having the tattoo, my doctor told me to take more pain medications (wrote a script) to hopefully try and combat any flare. Speak to your Doctor and see what he suggests.

I don't have any experience with the SCS so can't help you out on that one i'm afraid.

I hope all goes well should you decide to have the tattoo. I know for me they have been a great way of helping me see my RSD in a 'better' light, though I know some people will be against them.

Take care
Alison