View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
Help! My wife age 45 has ADHD. The volatility and anger she carries and unloads is destroying our 20 year marriage. Is there someone out there who can coach me as a spouse?

Randy
Dear Randy,

ADD I agree is a labeded disorder that most times it has nothing to do with ADD. I'll just tell you a short story. When my son started school we started to have problems with not discipline he has never had a serious discipline problem throughout is whole k-12 but calls from the teachers is not sitting still not listening the first time etc. This went on and on but keep in mind he was a straigh A student so there was not learning problems. Finally in 3rd grade I took him to a neurologist just to make sure he was not ADD. He was always a happy kid very minor problems with friends but nothing serious. Anyway the neurologist report came back negative gave the basic points of why he was not ADD and told the school that a child who has a IQ of 135 which is very high should be challanged instead of being sent to a neurologist. And went as far as to say they should be ashame. As his schooling went on went all the way to AP Physics, Trig and Pre-Calculas currently is in college studing business finance and a very,very smart young man. Is he a little disorganized yes, does he not clean his apartment the way I think it should be cleaned yes.

You stated you wife is very disorganized I believe this can be a sign of many other things depression is the first that comes to mind and second I have been married for 22 years and together for 30 so that's hard in it self. I think getting to the root of the problem is a start. Was she ADD as a child, did she have problems in school?

And to all the parents who allow there children to take ADD medications please be carefull. ADD medications as you all know are anphetamines they stimulate the part of the brain that does not work for focusing, behavior etc. I know some individuals do need it but it has become a recreation drug especially the Adderal so please be careful.

Good Luck

Gabbycakes