View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Gabapentin is excreted whole from the kidneys. It is not metabolized by the liver. This places alot of stress on those kidneys.

Some people get edema and swelling from it and I suspect the kidneys are not working well when this happens.

http://doublecheckmd.com/EffectsDeta...12968&eid=2571

So getting a renal panel may show you are not working well in the kidney area.

You don't have to have PERMISSION from your doctor to taper off, or reduce your medications. Gabapentin does not heal anything and if you are worse off with it, then you need to decide about that. You cannot stop it quickly, if you have been on it more than a month or so. It has to be tapered off. You need to tell your doctor you cannot tolerate this effect and to help you taper down. Then see if your swelling goes away. That would be your answer.

Patients have the right to accept or refuse medications.
I think your swelling is not normal, and needs to be taken seriously. When you started this medication your kidney functions may have been different. A sudden change like you describe may indicate your kidney cannot handle this drug at this dose.

You also should have your thyroid checked. I had terrible carpal tunnel in my hands when my feet were so severe, back when I was hypothyroid.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-25-2011 at 08:26 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Karenswails (01-25-2011)