View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I have posted for 4 years on this subject. If you search "statin" on this board, you'll find many many posts.

I'd like to respond to the Niaspan issue however. Niacin releases histamine and bradykinin in the skin....which leads to burning and flushing. This response is blocked by aspirin to some extent.

I have also found that aspirin in the form of AlkaSeltzer orig. formula, stops my burning feet when it is intense. The bicarb added to the aspirin has some histamine receptor blocking actions, and this I think is a double effect with both ingredients in one dose.

There have been posters here who could not tolerate the flush from Niacin... and I don't think it is an accident that some PN symptoms are similar. They may be caused by inflammatory cytokines which set off that same response, or some other mechanism we don't understand yet.

The newest research says the Very Low LDL are the culprits for blocking blood vessels...and most cholesterol screens do not
separate the LDLs out. As long as the lobby for drugs like statins remains active, we will not see the full truth about cholesterol. But I see daily various articles that say, higher cholesterol in the brain protects from neuro degeneration, and also supports immune function in the elderly.

So search here...I have many links put up. Including on the Subforum on the thread about "Drugs that may cause PN".

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote