View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Anastasia,

The neck issue is a simple answer. Since most concussions are the primary concern, the neck issues are overlooked. But, the head is critically supported by the neck so any trauma to the head will include some level of trauma to the neck. Since the neck issues are not easily treated by medical doctors, they do not check the neck unless there is a significant complaint.

A common problem with concussion is concussion whiplash or a similar injury. The head aches can be from the concussion or from the neck injury that can result in neck muscle spasms up into the head. There are neck muscles that attach to the skull behind the ears. When these spams, they often manifest as a headache. They can also cause a true head ache due to the effect they have on a myriad of systems related to the head (circulation, muscles, and sleep, etc).

If your exercise bike works at 105 BPM, you will likely get good results. Bike exercise causes much more blood flow that other exercises because the legs act like an addition blood pump. It takes serious oxygen debt to get pulse rates up high on a bike. Such an effort may be too much for your brain. Besides, you do not want oxygen debt when exercising for your brain's sake.

Have you taken your blood pressure while doing or right after your 20 minute session? It will help you understand what strains you are putting on your brain.
Mark,

Thank you very much for your response. I use a heart monitor while I'm on the bike, because if I go over 105 bpm my symptoms recur- dizziness, elevated heart rate at night, fatigue, headaches, saddness and moodiness, nausea. It has taken me 2 years for these symptoms to go away at rest. Now my goal is to be able to vacuum or go for a walk or anything really without triggering the whole mess.

I'm on hold right now because I missed a step when coming down off a step stool about 2 weeks ago. I feel sick to my stomach reading and writing this now, as the thud of just hitting the floor harder that normal with my foot has brought everything back. But I will wait a few weeks till it passes and try again. I'm hoping that a graduated increase in bp over a long period of time will help my brain relearn how to adapt to changes in blood pressure.

Because apparently it doesn't know what to do with those changes now. It just shuts me down. Thank you again
anastasiaelena is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote