View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephK View Post
Maximus is 9 weeks old, and I'm just wondering besides potty training, what other basic training is he ready for at this age? And what age should I start implementing other training?
Also, since he is a tiny dog (he will mostly be carried), are there certain things he won't need to be trained in?

I have experience training dogs, I went through some excellent puppy and dog training classes with my previous dog, but he wasn't being trained for PSD and he was a bit older than Maximus.

Any help or tips is MUCH appreciated! Thanks!
He should be trained in basic obedience and socialization. Obedience training can begin the moment you bring him home; once he's through his innoculations (which may take several weeks), you can enroll in a puppy or beginning obedience class for socialization (with other people and other dogs).

Even though "he will mostly be carried", it's the times he won't, or that he gets away from you, that will still be of concern. I can't think of anything you wouldn't want/need him trained in.

Depending on whether this will be a true PSD or an ESD,
http://psychiatricservicedogs.pbwork...824/ESA-vs-PSD
further training may/will be required, for which I'd recommend working with a qualified professional trainer.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote