View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, Jessica. I sure do sympathize with your question. I lost 50 pounds before I came down with MG, and maintaining the weight loss is a real struggle.

Here's one thing I know. Although a calorie is a calorie from the point of view of weight loss, some kinds of food will make you feel full longer than others. So, if you stick to your calorie guide, you'll lose weight no matter what you eat. But if you eat the right kinds of foods, you'll suffer from hunger less.

First, anything with fiber (whole grains, fruits, vegetables) will fill you stomach more than the same amount of calories of something without fiber. You also get to eat a larger quantity for the same amount of calories.

Second, you might think about the glycemic index of different foods (you can find charts on-line). This measures how fast a certain food raises your blood sugar. If you eat high-glycemic foods, your blood sugar goes up faster--and then down faster, so you feel hungrier sooner. If you eat low-glycemic foods, your blood sugar stays steady longer, and you don't get hungry as fast. The charts may surprise you, although generally high-protein foods and high-fiber foods have lower glycemic loads. You basically want to eat like a diabetic would.

You probably already know all this, but I'm posting it just in case it's helpful. I also find it helpful to have a cup of coffee--often decaf--after a meal. It helps the meal last longer and keeps me fuller.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote