Thread: my offer
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark in Idaho,

I wanted to contact you directlly but i'm new to this forum and not sure how to. I've read some of your posts and it appears that through your experience you are greatly informed on post concussion syndrome and i'm hoping you can help me out.
In December of 2009 i suffered a semi severe concussion durring a basketball game. A very large player on the opposing team who was about 6 foot 5 and 260 pounds was swinging his elbos aggressivly in a skirmish underneath the basket, and i got popped in between the nose and mouth.
My mother was not at the game so when i told she asked me if i blacked out. I said i did not, but she also asked one of my team mates and supposely i rested my head on his shoulder for a few minutes and it concerned him.
I have many friends who have had concussions and i did not think mine was very severe so after sitting out for a while i went back into the game, and played in a game the folowing day (i know now that was very ignorant)

Despite playing the next day i seemed to be ok untill several months later. my short term memory was terrrible, i often could not remember what i did the day before. my mind and body seemed sort of disconnected, i could't really comprehend what was going on. My brain seemed foggy and i felt like i just needed to shake it up and everything would fall back in place. Also at times i would experience almost no emotion and then rarely i would be extremely emotional.

When i first experienced these symptoms i was in a state of panic in confusion. i had no idea what was wrong untill i read up on post concussion syndrome. My symptoms soon got milder untill i drank with my friends. The following morning the symptoms returned.
I started drinking with my friends about 6 months before my concussion and we would drink just about every weekend. After i realized that drinking enhanced my symptoms i would stop for about a month and then see if it would happen again. Which it did every time. I had a streak of 3 months untill i blew it this new year.

i also played football in hs and often led with my head i may of had many minor concussions which contribted to my post concussion syndrome.
My current plan for recovery is not to drink anymore, get plenty of sleep, and take my vitamins (i am currently taking b12, omega 3s, vitamin d and a multi vitamin that promotes brain health. If you know of any others let me know) is there any thing else i can do?

On another post i noticed you said something about a specific chiropractor to go to if you suffered from whiplash. Whiplash ded not cross my mind untill i read that and i realized i definitely experienced it. a couple months ago i was doing push ups and on my last set i did as much as i could and when i stood up i had sharp pain in my lower head/ upper neck. it was one of the most painfull experiences of my life. Does that have anything to do with an injured neck/ head?? Do you think i have a good chance of recovery?
Thank you so much for your time i appreciate any input. It is nice to know that i'm not alone.
shov11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote