View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sugrkiss,

No, I no longer get weak. I go to the gym 3X a week and do 45 minutes continuous circuit training. I plan to add in 2 hour long Zumba classes next week. Prior to the reboot I was exhausted after 30 minutes of gentle exercise (I am primarily an "above the neck gal" but do get limb weakness as well.)

I can speak normally all day long. Before the reboot I would tire after 5-10 words. That was so very frustrating, as people I tried to speak with would just nod and say "Uh huh." when I said something and I knew they didn't understand me. It made me feel so insignificant.

I am eating normally now. I had horrible nasal regurg, dysphagia and difficulty with chewing prior to the reboot. I am amazed I never had aspiration pneumonia. I can chug a 12 oz glass of water in 8 swallows without stopping. I can also now drink alchohol without feeling weak. The bagel sandwich I ate last week was FAN-TASTIC.

Heat intolerance is much improved. I know it's winter, but I coach my daughter's swimming in an indoor, heated pool and they have overhead heaters that just blaze down on us. If you're not wet and in the water, it's HOT. I normally would come home from the pool, unable to do much of anything and be in bed by 6:30 pm. This week I've coached, come home, cooked dinner and have been up until 10 or later, no problems. The true test will be this coming summer.

Double vision is gone! I still get a slight bit of blurriness in the afternoons some days, but compared to the severe DV I lived with for the last 7 years, this is truly NOTHING. As I drove down the freeway last week--ALONE---I actually became tearful from joy. I was independent and confident again.

There ARE downsides...as with everything. I'm still mostly bald, but am getting soem downy hair growth again. I went radical and left my hat in my purse today. It felt good.

Also, it seems the chemo likely caused ovarian failure, as I now have some pretty intense hot flashes. Whether this is temporary or permanent is unknown. I am approaching menopause age, so it doesn't matter much to me. I do know of those with MS who have done this treatment and have gone on to have babies, so this is an individual thing, and chances of "chemopause" increase with age. Again, a good trade off for me.

My blood counts are still not yet recovered. My WBC's are especially low, but I also had some pretty intense and prolonged neutropenia during the whole process. My oncologist assures me this is normal, and I will just continue taking care to avoid germs, as I always do.

Hope this helps.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote