Thread: my offer
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

shov11,

The first thing you need to understand is that during your football years, you likely (according to statistics) suffered hundreds if not thousands of sub-concussive impacts. These are impacts that are relatively mild without any immediate symptoms but cumulatively are far more damaging that the occasional full concussion.

The problems that arise from sub-concussive impacts are slow and late appearing. You sound like a classic case.

The alcohol problem supports this idea, too. My doctor at 16 told me to stay away from alcohol completely. When in college, I had a full glass of beer because there was still pizza available but I was out of cash for a soft drink. Boy did I pay for that beer the next day. If left me messed up the whole next day.

The research I've read suggests a simple glass of wine a day should be the max.

You vitamin regimen is a good start. A multi for brain health can be grossly under in the amounts needed. Brain health and stress are marketing terms more than they are a listing of ingredients. You will be best to get some blood work done. You need to determine if you are B-12 deficient. Many people just do not absorb B-12 properly.

A blood test for B-12, folate, D3, and hormones will be good. The B-12 and folate should be in the high end of the normal range for someone whose brain has been compromised. Thyroid can also be good to have checked.

You also need to understand that many PCS symptoms do not show up for quite some time, even a month or two later. It is part of how the brain does clean-up after an injury. It takes time before the brain decides what malfunctioning parts need to be shut down. Then it shuts them down and any areas nearby.

If you continue to struggle with memory and such, it may help to get a neuro-psychological assessment. An NP Assessment can define what problems are real and what are just a bit of over-reacting to an occasional mental block. They can be expensive but are worth their weight in gold if they help you understand what is going on.

You are already ahead of the game since you have made a choice to change your behavior. Good for you.

Once you have posted enough times to the forum, you will get access to Private Messaging.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 01-29-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-29-2011)