View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Heart Patty

It's perfectly normal to feel nervous as your day approaches.....especially if your Dr didn't explain much! Shame on him! One of my pet peeves is how 'complacent' these Dr's can become. They do so many of these procedures that they somehow lose sight that this is the FIRST for us. Not only that, but this could potentially spell out how the future goes for us! Our quality of lives depend on this.

Thank God we have forums like this one to turn to! I've learned so much more by communicating directly with other patients, as opposed to researching online.
There is a very informative link that Fiona provided.....it is at the top of the page in the 'stickie' important info section. I'll tag it on to the end of this post. I can't remember if I've already given it to you or not. I refer to that particular link quite often. It really explains in detail what is involved in the actual procedure.
Aside from that, it's just good to hear from other people who've been thru this. We speak 'real people' language. Not propaganda 'sales pitch' stuff.

The main thing I can stress is to Have the medical team explain the post op instructions to you BEFORE you go in for the procedure!! It's very frustrating trying to comprehend what they are saying and handing you the equipment you'll be using for your trial period....when you are sedated from the procedure! It becomes overwhelming and intimidating.
Simply put, it's better for the stress level to be as familiar as possible of what is going on.
Usually (I think) they send home a DVD with your trial kit, so you can become familiar with the settings in the comfort of home.
It's also good that your kids are older. Put the teens to work around the house. Have a 'family meeting' of sorts so everyone can be on the same page to understand what mom is going thru and what you will need help with.

The first day you will probably be sore from the procedure itself. Please don't become disheartened by this. Pamper yourself and use ice on the incision (but no ice on the RSD area!) and rest.
By day 2 and 3 you'll feel more excited about the options the SCS has to offer and you can mess around with the settings and try to do simple things around the house.
Of course, if your Dr says anything otherwise, HE's the BOSS. I'm not sure what he'll say regarding the driving. I would try to avoid it if I were you. It requires turning your head and there are always 'idiots' around every corner. You never know WHAT might happen.

You'll have plenty of support here!
Do your best to allow this to be an 'exciting' time for you. This could potentially bring you back your 'life' and the things you love to do!

Here's that link....
http://www.nationalpainfoundation.or...e-technologies

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (01-29-2011), Mark56 (01-29-2011), stressedout (01-30-2011)