View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
Steve, I was there New Years weekend. My daughter's family shared that virus with this grandmother. And, I too was going to call 911 about 3:30am and go to the ER, but I rode it out and finally it subsided, but there was and hour or so that I thought I would just die right where I was; after all I didn't want to inconvenience my daughter! I never stopped to think about the negative side of the ER, I was just so sick and dehydrated at that point, I almost didn't care.

How little the medical community knows about PD is frightening. I don't have to tell anyone on this board. Many of us have our stories about hospitals and doctors.

Did you know that the information "taught" in medical school is only about one hour!

There is a professor from a university in our state that contacted PAN looking for a speaker. He was forward thinking, to my delight. He taught students who were to graduate and become speech therapist. He needed to find someone who could come to his classroom and explain to his students about PD and what they would see in the clinical setting. I was to speak to them, but became ill a week prior and turned the task over to someone else.

I think about this, but have not taken on the challenge. We have a campus of a community college here and they graduate RNs. Just a place to go and "teach" RN students about PD and meds, etc. So that they can go into the clinic or hospital with the information they need to know. My only concern is on the negative side. Considering how many in the medical profession are in the clinics and hospitals who are uneducated about PD. How will this "upstart" going to counter the rules about meds and other issues.

But then I guess we have to start somewhere!
Yes, any sickness we get in addition to pd can be a handful..Seems pd complicates it, or the problem complicates pd

I sat and thought about it for a minute, and realized that throwing up causes dehhydration, so I drank as much water as I could hold down..I couldnt drink anything but water, because it came back up

Not fun!