View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaP View Post
That's what the neuro-opthamalogist I saw recently told me as well, that things would resolve in time and that the therapy wasn't worth the money. He was very knowledgable about brain injury (I was surprised!), far more than the first neurologist I saw long ago. It's hard to know for sure though, because I think different people respond to things in different ways. PCS Learner, I'd love to hear more detail about what the vision therapy entailed, I know it helped your daughter.
Hi,

I'm in vision rehab now and I can say that it has defintely helped me. The reason I know it's not just a matter of time passing is because my injury, which was caused by an infection, happened over 3 decades ago. Visual processing symptoms, including balance, have improved since starting vision rehab a few months ago.

The area of my brain that is impacted is intimately connected to eye movements and visual processing. Visual processing problems were picked up a couple years post-injury but no therapy was offered. I did not learn about vision rehab until this summer and have been in therapy now for a few months.

Although my eyesight is 20/20, the visual processing problems made reading and navigating crowds, watching tv etc very difficult. I'm not "cured" but the rehab sessions, at home excercises and glasses which have a special prescription and coating have helped tremendously. And I've very hopeful they will help more as I progress in treatment. For me, this has been incredible!

I know everyone is different and every type of injury is different. The vision rehab doctor specializes in head trauma and has told me that he has had much success with people who have all different types of head injuries, for all different types of reasons. It seems to me visual processing assessment should be offered to everyone impacted by a brain injury and that the need for rehab should be assessed and offered, if appropriate.

I think it can be difficult when a dr tells you something is not worthwhile. Of course, sometimes the dr is right- but not always. I think it is also important to value your intuition and instincts in learning about treatments that may provide support to you.

If you decide to consult with a optometrist, I suggest going to a neuro-optometrist who specializes in head trauma.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
-Hazzell
Hazzell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BeccaP (01-31-2011), ConcussedinPA (02-01-2011), Grady Lady (02-15-2011)