View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Hi Penny, and welcome to NeuroTalk.

It took me several patches to find my "sweet spot"...

I used this picture to help me place my patch:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000401/2109.html
scroll down to Fig. 2b.

It shows the nerve emerging from the abdomen in two places.

I used to cut the patch in half, and place each over that spot in the upper thigh/groin.

You can also try your back in the lumbar area...this would need a full patch, put on vertically.

This link has a link in it to a graphic at Healthonline:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...light=Lidoderm

Showing the nerve paths. Lidocaine works by blocking the transmission of the signal up to the spine. Placed at the end points where you feel pain, is not very effective because of those nerve endings and how they work. You want to intercept at a point where the little branches coalesce into one solid nerve.

It takes a few days to get going...it is not an instant result. It may be a couple of hours before the drug diffuses deeply enough to reach the nerve. I found that 2 weeks every day finally suppressed my pain. I had it for YEARS, and it did not go away by itself. Also I discovered HEAT set it off quite a bit, so no more hot baths, or steam room visits. In fact you could try an ice pack on your back during your off times with the patch.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote