View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Angry I get SO DARNED TIRED of Explaining This

ALL of you who tell me and others, over and over and over again that a dog can NOT be a Service Animal unless he "performs" some trained task, some trained action.

Several months ago, when I still only had library access, so no time to come here and post about it, I found the proof (ie, govermental) that my position is correct - that when a dog can lessen a DISABILITY, not just "I'm get anxious, worried or whatever and my dog comes up to be petted and it distracts me, calms me down".

I'm almost certain I bookmarked it - or sent myself an email with the link - but it may be buried deep, no matter where it is. When I find the US government's legal ADA DEFINITION of disability and the other document explaining about the latitude given psychiatric service dogs, I'll post it here. Don't hold your breath, but hopefully it will be up by Valentine's.

Being anxious, nervous, always worried, is not enough to have the federal government give you a psychiatric disability rating (tho you may be mandated federally disabled because of some OTHER condition/illness/disorder you have). But when you have severe dysfunction because of one or more facets of a psychiatric illness, so bad that you cannot function within any parameters of normal - and the company of the dog can enable one to regain normal functions, then that dog is rendering an important psychiatric service.

I do get tired of bombast.

Theresa (OneMoreTime)

OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jamiemarie23 (12-17-2014)