View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Beta Amyloid (not alpha synuclein)- Is it the trouble maker or the attempted solution

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david-perlmutter-md/alzheimers-herpes-could-be-a-cause_b_814047.html

I thought this seemed to be an article related to the discussion.
All along, I've been thinking of getting rid of the alpha synuclein, here beta amyloid (also a mis-folded protein that aggregates in the brain) appears to be the hero on the white horse instead of the enemy

If beta amyloid were the cause of Alzheimer's disease, then why would ridding the brain of this protein actually cause patients to worsen? Harvard researcher Dr. Stephanie Soscia and her associates may have the answer. Their recently published research questioned why beta amyloid accumulates in the Alzheimer's brain in the first place, and concluded that in fact, the protein actually serves to rid the brain of a variety of bacteria and viruses. They described beta amyloid as an "antimicrobial peptide" which accumulated in response to an infectious agent. Their work looks upon beta amyloid in a new light as they stated, "If the normal function of beta amyloid is to function as an antimicrobial peptide, then an absence of the peptide may result in increased vulnerability to infection." Rather than causing the disease, beta amyloid may be our brain's natural response to an infectious agent, accumulating as a way of defending us against a pathogen. So perhaps we should reconsider beta amyloid since it has been said that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."
VICTORIALOU is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
olsen (01-31-2011)