View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

JakeD,

The most important thing is for you is to learn to recognize your triggers. Then, you need to start trying to prevent these triggers. You need to focus on avoiding the crashes so that your brain has longer time between crashes. The brain will only heal when it is crash free. The crashes can actually cause you to regress.

Walking quietly; avoiding noise, avoiding flashing lights, avoiding getting stuck in an anxiety attack from fear of another crash, anything you can do to stay settled.

I had a recovery system of a dark quiet room with a soft blanket and good music. The focus is to create a soothing environment that fills all of your sensory systems. The soft blanket is to fill your tactile sensations. The music is to fill your auditory sensation. The dark room is to settle you visual sensation. When all of these can get settled, your brain can try to reboot.

You need to find the music or sounds that settle your brain. Normal stimulating sounds or rock music, etc will not work. Once you start to find these settling sensations, you will hopefully get mental time to sort out your thoughts. It is a slow process at first but improves quickly as you learn to avoid over-stimulation.

Avoid caffeine and other stimulants. Do a search on this forum for nutrition or supplements. Proper nutrition for your brain will help it slowly purge the toxins. It will take a few months of good nutrition and low stress to see an improvement.

There is more I can say but you are likely overwhelmed already.

Take it slow. Try to find a brain injury support group. The Brain Injury Association of America www.biaa.org has local state affiliates with contacts to support groups. They can be very helpful.

You are not going crazy. You are experiencing normal PCS symptoms.

Try to relax and learn so relaxation skills.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (02-03-2011)