View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My daughter's experience with vision therapy was very similar to Hazzell's. I can't say it any better than that.

Her therapy was a course of 14 weekly in-office training sessions (exercises on the computer and different eye/hand coordination activities) and daily at home work. She continued the homework for several weeks.

I will add this anecdote. At one point during therapy my daughter told her therapist that her symptoms were only returning when she was very tired or overly stressed. He said, "What do you do when this happens?" She answered, "I focus my eyes the way (one particular exercise) taught me to do." He winked at me over her head and said, "So how long do you think you were seeing double?" She answered, "Almost a year."

I was flabergasted. She had lost her ability to see in 3D, she was seeing double, and her center line was over her left cheekbone instead between her eyes. Somehow she didn't really realize it. Perhaps have someone help you walk a straight line and see how your balance is. My daughter was all over the place until the doctor put prism lenses on her. Those corrected her perception of center and she was able to walk perfectly straight.

We also went to two different neuro opthamologists who did not give vision therapy much credit. I did my own research and decided to give it a very cautious try. You might want to google "war veterans and vision therapy". There was a great series on NPR about the VA recognizing the need for vision therapy following brain injury.

I can't guarantee that she wouldn't have gotten better without vision therapy. All I can promise is that she believes it helped her and she's the one experiencing it. She is 4 months past her last session and is doing well in honors classes in school, reading well, exercising, etc. All the best to all of you.
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BeccaP (02-01-2011), Grady Lady (02-15-2011)