View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

luckily we had bought all the service contracts that the heating company has. (they also have a plumbing department too...got a service contract for that too!)

I called and the tech came out at 1230 am and cleaned out the massive blockage of pink goo (the tech called it "snot") that was in the drain pipe that goes from the humidifier to the floor drain. He helped me put our industrial fan out to try to dry out the bookcases. (I couldnt lift the fan, which I could do two months ago. MS is screwing up my back now)

He said that the water had wicked up the bookcases and that we should probably toss them. (yay! I just needed the excuse!)

I lost the external hard drive that we'd put in the bottom of the bookcase when my dad gave his brother's desk to my cousin. It was the only place for it. It's soggy and I dont feel like trying to put it in a bucket of rice to see if I can dry it out. Dont think there was anything on it anyways. I'm going to quietly toss the 3 cookbooks that were on that same shelf. (my mom freaked when I told her I was going to toss them, but she doesnt cook, she wont miss them)

There are about 100+ vinyl albums on the bookcase next to that. Not sure if they got wet. I'm going to tell my sister that she can take them and sell them (and keep the money) if she wants to.

My dad has about 200+ leather bound Louis L'Amour books in one of the bookcases. Those did NOT get wet that I can tell. As soon as I get my Xmas tree out of the way in the family room, I'm going to start to move the books to a table out there until we can buy (or build in) some bookcases for either the family room or my dad's office room. (that room is going to become a library/spare bedroom)

My sister and b-in-law had complained about us keeping those books where they are. I agree with them, but with the MS, just havent had the energy to deal with it. My dad thought they were fine where they were. He's now been convinced that they need to be moved. I'm going to see if my sister will help move the books when we get the bookcase. I'm thinking I can slowly get them out of the storeroom by moving them one at a time, but when we put them away in the new bookcase(s), my sister can organize them for us. (and keep the vinyl albums for doing the work for me)

Then we'll have more room in the storeroom without those bookcases. I cant wait!

I'm just glad that when the water from the humidifier got all over a bunch of our stuff in there, that MY STUFF was in nice secure plastic Rubbermaid totes. My yarn and fabric is nice and dry and clean.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (01-31-2011), SallyC (01-31-2011)