View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question TSA Pat Downs

Dear SnowWhyte -

I've got one further thought on the travel score, and it's uncomfortable.

As we all know, the TSA is officially into manipulating every contour of your body, in the event that your x-ray scatter-scan is at all ambiguous. In fact, as I now look at the TSA guidelines, no one has the right to avoid a pat down in favor of the x-ray scatter scan in the first place!

(Of course, I have repeatedly heard TSA representatives advises that the best way to avoid ambiguous x-ray scans is to in turn avoid wearing "bulky, loose fitting clothing," what most people with RSD would be most comfortable wearing in the first place!)

My first had been to try and get a letter from your pain doctor explaining what you've got, how it makes you "sensitive" to even the lightest touch, and suggesting that if they believe a pat-down to be in order, it would be MEDICAL NECESSITY to do a strip search in a private room, as painful as it may be for you to get dressed and undressed. Unfortunately, the TSA's policy statement doesn't appear to support even the "right" to a strip search! Check it out:
All passengers have important rights during a pat-down. You have the right to request the pat-down be conducted in a private room and you have the right to have the pat-down witnessed by a person of your choice. All pat-downs are only conducted by same-gender officers. The officer will explain the pat-down process before and during the pat-down. If you have a medical device, please inform the officer.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/pat_downs.shtm

Indeed, there a wholly separate TSA document called "Medical Conditions and Special Situations - Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions," and it's not terribly comforting. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1986.shtm For instance, here's the sub-section on persons with "Hidden Disabilities":
* Persons with a hidden disability can, if they choose, advise Security Officers that they have a hidden disability and may need some assistance, or need to move a bit slower than others.

* Family members or traveling companions can advise Security Officers when they are traveling with someone who has a hidden disability, which may cause that person to move a little slower, become agitated easily and/or need additional assistance.

* Family members or traveling companions can offer suggestions to Security Officers on the best way to approach and deal with the person with a hidden disability, especially when it is necessary to touch the person during a pat-down inspection.

* Family member or traveling companions can stay with the person during a public or private screening; however, they may be required to be rescreened if they provide assistance to the person.

* Notify the Security Officer if you need to sit down before and/or during the screening process.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1374.shtm

On the other hand, the document offers helpful information regarding things like extra carryons for medical equipment and getting medications through security. I would urge you to go through it carefully.

That said, I suppose it couldn't hurt to have a letter from your doctor pleading for disrobing as an alternative to a "gentle frisk" carried out in private. But if the TSA lack the facilities and/or training for private same-sex visual inspections in the buff, there may not be a lot of options.

(Someone please tell me how I am misreading this document.)

In any event, between all of that and often having to wait 15 minutes for an airport wheelchair, I would certainly add another hour to the time you are giving yourself to arrive at your local airport on the way out and check in on the way back.

Please understand that I don't meant to alarm you, and may well be blowing this out of proportion. I wish you only the best in your travels.

Mike

ps Just came across the transportation blog of the Washington Post, "Dr. Gridlock," for November 24th, in the follow up to an unpleasant incident at an airport screening station, where "a bladder cancer survivor and had a urostomy bag under his clothing." http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dr-..._pat-down.html Following an apology from the TSA, the upshot of the situation appeared to be as follows:
The TSA said passengers with disabilities can contact the TSA to coordinate their screening before arriving at the airport.
That said, I couldn't get a phone number for TSA at my local airport, and when I went on the TSA webpage http://www.tsa.gov/ and hit the "Contact Us" tab at the top of the page, it didn't exactly read like read like a phone book. The best bet may be in contacting your local airport administration during M - F business hours, and seeing if they're able to patch you through to the TSA.

Last edited by fmichael; 02-01-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: post-script
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyRI (02-04-2011), SnowWhyte (02-04-2011)