View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Food Allergies & MG

A big thank you to AnnieB for recommending this book on food allergies. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Allergies.../dp/047138268X

I am posting this here again because I am finding that my MG gets less severe when I reduce my allergies. I think for me, allergies and MG go hand in hand. Maybe other people suffer from this combination.

I have been experimenting with food a lot since I got MG, because this can make a big difference in how severe my MG symptoms are.

My food allergy symptoms are minor and I've never considered them anything more than an irritation, until now. This book describes the exact trouble I've had my whole life. I don't have typical food allergies, but rather an allergic reaction to any food if I eat it in large quantities. I've had skin and blood allergy tests and I am allergic to most foods, but I have to eat...

This book points out that if a person has this kind of food allergy, they often need to minimize sugar, MSG, acidic fruits, and artificial sweeteners.

I have been testing my reaction to sugar, acidic fruit, and foods that naturally contain MSG (I refuse to eat artificial sweeteners ), and I am noticing that all of these give me both allergic reactions and increase my MG symptoms. Now I am working on reducing sugar and fruits in my diet, luckily it seems I can eat small amounts of these things.

For example, I love ice cream...I can eat about 2 small scoops and be ok, but a third scoop gives me a slightly scratchy throat and itchy skin, and then within an hour or so I get more MG weakness (the specifics vary). If I go for 4 scoops, I get red irritated bumps in my throat and I have difficulty speaking, mostly due to the MG. I don't know why I didn't notice this before. I guess because the irritation goes away, and plus it happens all the time, for most of my life, I had gotten used to it.

Perfect timing to read this book, since my food experiments have come to a similar conclusion as this book, so the book was extremely helpful, like a confirmation of sorts.

Does anyone else suffer from allergies or notice a connection with MG?

I am hoping that I can further change my diet and maybe have less MG weakness.

Thank you again, AnnieB!

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jana (02-02-2011)